A Proactive Approach to Host, Network and Application Security
Your information technology department has enough to do just running your organization’s network and system infrastructure. Attempting to have them implement one prescriptive policy here and another there—when they can find the time—will lead to results that are just as scattershot as the initiative that is driving them.
A thorough information technology security review and plan can help companies of all sizes—whether a small retail enterprise or a large medical institution with multiple domains and hundreds of devices. By taking a more proactive and systematic approach to IT Security, companies will require less time and effort to put out fires.
Applying Effective and Defensible Security Practices
There are general practices, policies, and procedures that organizations should follow, regardless of their size. For example:
- Ensuring servers and user devices are receiving the right patches and virus definition updates
- Running antivirus and anti-malware programs frequently—preferably daily
- Ensuring that VPN solutions use strong encryption algorithms and enforce endpoint security
- Ensuring applications on mobile devices process and store confidential data appropriately
- Ensuring Web applications are not left vulnerable to well-known threats, or have more security privileges than required
The team at Oxford Consulting Group can assist you understanding and implementing effective security practices in these areas through an assessment. For many companies, this is a great start. For others that have the basics covered, a more advanced analysis and testing of host, network and application security is required. Regardless of your current maturity level, Oxford can help.
Advanced Evaluation and Penetration Testing Services
We offer an array of more advanced security evaluation and testing services, including the following:
- Evaluating the security architecture and security configuration of your workstations, server operating systems, and network devices
- Reviewing security policies for firewalls and routers
- Manually inspecting applications for problems
- Checking software versions and revision levels, to ensure systems are running the latest and best revisions and patches
- Evaluating change control processes to ensure changes are secure, recorded and justified
- Ensuring protected services are properly authenticated at the user and machine level
- Detecting and mapping wireless networks, while assessing strengths of wireless encryption protocols
- Analyzing the vulnerability of your workstations, server operating systems, network devices, wireless networks, and VPN and remote access applications
- Reviewing physical access to devices and making recommendations
- Evaluating deployment processes and administrative procedures of workstations, servers, and other devices, and providing recommendations for improvement
- Reviewing external security controls and conducting penetration testing
The reports we produce from these evaluation and testing activities will explain the vulnerabilities that were discovered, and will provide you options for addressing them. Our reports will also provide suggested improvement strategies and/or recommended changes.
Your IT Security Services Partner
Rely on Oxford as you partner for expert, cost-effective IT Security consulting services. Contact us to discuss your IT Security needs today.